Argenta-Oreana Elementary School Frequently Asked Questions

Argenta-Oreana Elementary School

What time does school start and end?
School starts at 8:10 and ends at 2:49.
How early can students be dropped off in the morning?
The bell rings at 7:45 for students to go to breakfast or their designated gym.  Students should not be in the hallways before 7:45.
What are the pick-up and drop-off procedures?
Students may be dropped off starting at 7:45 at the east parking lot only.  Please pull up to the drop off zone and allow your child to walk up to the building.  If you need to park, you may park your vehicle in the east parking lot and walk your child into the building.

For pick up, do not enter or park at the entrance of the north circle drive in front of the school.  Park in the east parking lot and walk to the sidewalk to pick up your child from a staff member.  If you are unable to walk, a staff member can bring your child to you.
What time does my child go to lunch?
Lunch is from 11:10 to 12:40.
Kindergarten at 11:10, 1st grade at 11:20, 2nd at 11:30, 3rd at 11:40, 4th at 12:00, 5th at 12:10
Do we have before and after school daycare?
There is no before or after school care.  
What, if any, after school programs does A-O offer?
We only offer late stay homework help for 4th and 5th grade students on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  
How much money does my child owe for lunches?
Meal account balances are sent home with midterms and report cards.  This information can also be obtained by accessing your profile on
What should I do if my child’s after school routine is changing for today?
Please send a signed note with your child to give to his or her teacher or call the elementary office.
Can my student take medication at school for something simple like a cough?
A student may bring cough drops to school along with a note from a parent.  Any other medications follow our handbook policy listed below.
Taking medication during school hours or during school-related activities is prohibited unless it is necessary for a student’s health and well-being. When a student’s licensed health care provider and parent/guardian believe that it is necessary for the student to take a medication during school hours or school-related activities, the parent/guardian must request that the school dispense the medication to the child by completing a “School Medication Authorization Form.” 

No school or district employee is allowed to administer to any student, or supervise a student’s self-administration of, any prescription or non-prescription medication until a completed and signed School Medication Authorization Form is submitted by the student’s parent/guardian. No student is allowed to possess or consume any prescription or non-prescription medication on school grounds or at a school-related function other than as provided for in this procedure.
When a student comes to the office sick, how is it determined whether or not a student is sent home?
If a student has a temperature of 99.4 or above, they are automatically sent home.  Students may also be sent home if they are physically getting sick at school or continuously complaining about their health.  The office staff uses their best judgement to determine if a parent should be called if there is no fever or vomiting.  When students initially complain of a headache or stomachache, they try an ice pack or crackers first.
What if I have a concern about my child’s progress in class?
We strive to maintain open lines of communication between home and school. We are also a “Chain of Command” school district. This means that we believe in communicating with those most likely to help address concerns or answer questions.  If you are concerned about your child’s progress in a particular class, please call the school at (217) 468-2412, and ask to speak to your child’s teacher. You may also email the teacher using the email list that can be found at under the Teacher Info tab, or any method of communication the teacher utilizes.  If this contact has taken place but the issue cannot be resolved, an administrator can be contacted to be a part of the conversations and solution.
What should I do if I have an issue with the bus?
Any transportation concerns can be directed to Mark Daley, 795-4417.  If the concern has to do with student discipline, please contact the office as well to speak with an administrator.  There is also a Frequently Asked Questions document for transportation that you may easily access.
How do you determine if you go outside for recess?
The conditions for outdoor recess include the wind, any inclement weather, and the temperature.  If the temperature and/or wind chill is below 32 degrees, students stay indoors.  The playground supervisors use their best judgement when determining whether conditions warrant outdoor play.
Can my child sit out of P.E. or recess with a parent note?
With a parent note, students may sit out of P.E. for three days.  Anything longer than three days requires a doctor’s note.  The student will also need a note from the doctor to begin participating again.  If a student does not participate in P.E., it is likely that they will not be permitted to participate in recess activities as well.

Students may sit out of recess for one day with a note from a parent.  Then the procedure is the same as the above for P.E. 
How are students prepared for severe weather or threats while at school?
Each year the school conducts three fire drills – one with the local fire department, one bus evacuation drill, a severe weather/tornado drill, and a drill with law enforcement for situations such as an active shooter.  A building level crisis plan is in place and available in every classroom.
Where can I access a calendar for the school year?
Our district community calendar including school holidays and early dismissals is available on our website
How can I monitor my student’s academic progress?
Student grades, attendance and academic progress, as well as additional announcements, can be found at  There is also a TeacherEase app for parent and student use on Apple devices.
How do I let the school know if my child is ill and not able to attend school?
When a student is absent from school please call the office no later than 9:30 A.M. on the morning of the absence at 468-2412 or 468-2121 to leave a voicemail or talk to a secretary.  Please provide the student’s name, teacher’s name and reason for the absence.  If no call is received, your home or place of employment will be contacted to inquire about the absence.  If we are unable to reach a parent or guardian, it may be considered an unexcused absence.
How does the school communicate upcoming events and information for the general public?
Our building utilizes weekly classroom newsletters, a building-wide newsletter, Facebook, Twitter and School Messenger phone or email system.
Twitter: @AOELBombers
What is the cost for lunch?
A student lunch is $2.05.  An adult lunch is $2.75.  If a student purchases a milk, it is $0.30
Breakfast is $1.30.
What do I do upon entering the school as a visitor?
Visitors should ring the bell at the main entrance of the building and a secretary will unlock the door.  All visitors must sign in at the office and obtain a visitor’s badge before proceeding into the building. 
How can I become involved at school?
We are always accepting volunteers to help in the classroom or work one-on-one with students.  Teachers also appreciate volunteers for classroom or school-wide celebrations and field trips.  All volunteers must be approved before working with students.  Please look for information regarding volunteering during summer registration, or ask the office or classroom teacher for information throughout the year.  There are also monthly PATT meetings on the second Tuesday of every month at 6:00 in the elementary library.  
Tom Altig,
Jun 16, 2017, 9:31 AM
Tom Altig,
Jun 16, 2017, 9:31 AM